Temptation is something we all have to deal with. Even Jesus had to fight off Satan in moments when he seemed most vulnerable to sin. The bible teaches us about how we can handle temptation the way that Jesus did.
- Every person will face temptation. If Jesus was tempted, we can be sure that we will face temptation too. Temptation, however, is different from sin. Temptation only becomes sin when we allow it to fester in our minds, and eventually let it control our thoughts and actions. (Matthew 4:3-4)
- We have an enemy who wants to destroy us. The devil is real, and he is trying to keep us from God. By ourselves, we are powerless to stand against him. (1 Peter 5:8)
- God gives us the power to resist temptation. With God’s help, we can overcome Satan. The bible says that as Christians, we can make any situation honor God and overcome temptation. In fact, God will never put us in a situation that we can’t handle. We can always choose to flee temptation. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
We can follow Jesus’ example and use the bible to overcome temptation. We can memorize scripture verses to quote when we are being tempted. God has given us small groups, small group leaders, friends, and even our parents to help us overcome our struggles. When we turn to them and turn to God, we can overcome temptation because God is always on our side.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What’s the longest you’ve gone without eating? Why weren’t you eating? Or, if you could stop eating one kind of food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What are some common temptations that teenagers face?
- When does temptation turn into sin?
- Read 1 Peter 5:8. How does understanding the role of the devil help you fight temptation?
- How does Jesus fight temptation in this story? What are some things that we can do to fight temptation in our own lives?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.