Hey kids! Today we are talking about another part of the Easter story: Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. This true story take place right before Jesus is arrested and taken to his trial. Here are the 5 most important facts to learn from this story.
Jesus went to the ________ to ______
Jesus was really stressed. So what did he do? He prayed! He knew that he was about to go to the cross to die. He was afraid and was asking God to help him. He wanted God to make it so he didn’t have to die in such a hard way. But he also knew that God had a plan, and he had to be okay with that plan no matter what it was.
Next time you are afraid or stressed, be like Jesus and pray. God wants to help you and be your friend, so talk to him! Now, let’s look at our next fact from this true story.
The disciples fell _______ in the garden
They were supposed to be keeping watch for Jesus while he prayed, but they fell asleep. They didn’t just fall asleep once, they fell asleep 3 times! Each time Jesus left them to go pray they would fall asleep.
Matthew 26:43 When he returned to them again, he found them sleeping, for they couldn’t keep their eyes open.
They must have been really, really tired. Have you ever been so tired that you couldn’t even keep your eyes open?
Jesus didn’t _______ like the paintings
Have you ever seen paintings that show Jesus praying in the garden? If you look at them, they make it look like Jesus is really calm. But that’s not how it was. Jesus knew he was about to go to the cross and die, so he was pretty scared. That’s really important to know because even though Jesus was afraid, he still did what God wanted him to.
________ didn’t want to go to the ________
That was his mission. He was born to do it. But that doesn’t mean he was looking forward to it. He knew that the mean people who wanted him to die would hurt him and treat him like he was a criminal.
But Jesus was helped by an angel. God sent the angel to give Jesus strength. He was about to do something really hard and God wanted to help him through it. That’s pretty cool, huh? We have a God that is willing to help us no matter what.
Let’s look at the last fact from this story.
Jesus ______ to go to the cross
Nobody made him, but he knew he had to do it. He didn’t go to the cross to be punished for his sins, he did to save us from ours! By dying on the cross Jesus made it so that we could all go to heaven some day.
But why did God the Father let Jesus die? Isn’t that kind of mean? No, actually, it’s really nice. Jesus died in our place. Jesus died for our sins so that we wouldn’t have to. And that’s why God let him. That’s how much God loves us. Memory verse!
John 3:16 For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.
Think about it: God loved the world so much, that he was willing to let his own son die. He wants us all to be able to be in heaven one day, and thanks to Jesus that can happen. All we have to do is accept Jesus into our hearts and believe that he died on the cross for our sins. You can do that today! Just talk to a parent or teacher about it. The would love to help you see just how much God loves you.
Answers: garden, pray, asleep, look, Jesus, cross, had Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- Make a top 5 list of the things you love to do on vacation. Make a top 5 list of your favorite things to do on the weekends.
- What did Jesus do when he was scared? What are some things that scare you that you need to pray about?
- Why do you think the disciples fell asleep on Jesus? How do you think that made Jesus feel?
- Why did Jesus have to go to the cross for us?
- Read Hebrews 9:28. Why did Jesus have to die for us? Where do we get to live with him some day?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]