See also the adult edition of this lesson.
Hey kids! Today we’re looking at Psalm chapter 27. You remember what the Psalms are, right? They’re songs that the people of Israel used to sing way back in the Old Testament. Chapter 27 talks about the same thing most of the other psalms talk about: God! Let’s take a look.
God is big, but he still wants to talk to you!
Some kids think God is too important for little ol’ them. I mean, would the God of the whole universe really care about me? God is like a famous person, you know, like Scooby Doo! He doesn’t have time for us. But that’s not what our memory verse says.
Psalm 27:8 My heart has heard you say, “Come and talk with me.” And my heart responds, “Lord, I am coming.”
This verse shows us that God wants us to talk to him! Because even though God is super important, he still has time to listen to us. Let’s look at what else this psalm has to say about God.
God is close even if everyone else runs away
Think about your friends. Have they ever left you out at recess or has a friend not invited you over to play? It hurts, right? Even our parents can let us down sometimes. They might forget to take us to the mall like they promised to or are so busy that they forget to pick us up from school. Well, that’s because our friends and parents aren’t perfect. They will let us down sometimes. And, we’ll let other people down, too.
Psalm 27:10 Even if my father and mother abandon me, the Lord will hold me close.
But, here’s the good news. We don’t have to worry about God. He will never forget us. Even if it seems like everyone is running away from you, God will still be there for you. He created you and will always love you, no matter what.
With God on our side, we can be brave
This is what the Israelites sang about in this song.
Psalm 27:14 Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous.
The Israelites knew that God would be by their side no matter what. We need to remember this, too. No matter what happens in our lives, we don’t have to be afraid or wonder if God is watching out for us. He is and that’s why we can be brave and courageous!
So, when you are feeling lost and alone think about this psalm. Remember God is ALWAYS by your side and will always be there to talk to you.
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- Who is the bravest person you know? What makes them so brave?
- What are the Psalms?
- How do we talk to God? What should you talk about with God?
- Who will never let us down or forget about us? What can you do to show God that you won’t forget about him?
- Read Hebrews 13:6. Who is our helper? How does knowing God make us brave?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
Bonus Questions: Use these passages to have more conversations this week.
- Read Deuteronomy 31:6. How has God helped you to be brave?
- Read Psalm 31:24. How do we put our hope in Jesus?
- Read Hebrews 4:16. How do we bring our requests to God? What are some things you need to pray about?