One step at a time, we can learn to walk with the Spirit and live a life that honors God.
Hey kids! Today we’re finishing up our series on habits – you know, things you do over and over, almost without thinking. Habits have a way of controlling us – even bad habits! It’s like a robot with a fancy control panel. But if you stop your stinkin’ thinkin’ – like we talked about last week – you’ll be on the right track to habits that honor God!
Today we’re going to talk about one more important thing: how to actually do it! You know, how to make good habits a normal part of your life. Look at what this verse says!
Gal 5:16 So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.
Did you catch what that verse is saying? You can’t stop your bad habits on your own. And you can’t start better habits without some help either! God is the one who helps!
The Holy Spirit gives us power for good habits
It’s true! The Bible says that when you became a Christian, the Holy Spirit – that’s God! – came into you to make you a new person. Remember that from last week? That means God gives you the power to make better choices, from the inside out.
But what does that look like? The Bible tells us that answer, too!
Good habits look like the fruit of the Spirit.
You’ve heard of that, right? The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Do you know why it’s called fruit? Because it should just grow out of us like fruit grows out of a tree! The Spirit in us makes it happen.
For example, you love your parents and you show it by obeying them when they ask you to do something. That’s making love a habit – right at home! That’s a fruit of the Spirit.
Or you’re waiting in line for the bathroom, and it’s taking longer than you expected. But you practice patience, and you even let another kid go in front of you. That’s a couple of fruits – patience and kindness! Now you’re really getting it!
When you make the fruit of the Spirit just a regular part of your day and your week, you’re making it a habit. And that’s exactly what God wants! But how does it happen?
It takes baby steps to walk by the Spirit.
Think about when you first learned how to walk. Did you just jump up on your feet and start running around like a teenager? No way! You stood up and took one little step. And then you fell back down. Just ask your mom. Nobody starts with teenager steps. Everybody starts with baby steps.
It works the same way with our habits. You’ve got a lot to learn in the years ahead. How will you do it? One step at a time. One good habit at a time.
Galatians 5:25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives.
So, what are some habits you need to step into right now? Why don’t you make a list and talk about it with a parent or a teacher.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What’s the hardest thing you’ve learned to do? (ex. Skiing, playing guitar, skateboarding, reading) How did you get better at it?
- List the fruits of the Spirit. Which ones are already habits in your life? Which ones do you need to work on?
- Ask your parents what it was like when you learned to walk. Were you a quick learner or accident prone?
- What should we do when we fall down in our walk with God?
- Read Galatians 5:24-25. What does it mean to nail our sins to the cross? How does the Holy Spirit help us to live for God?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: Family Guide (PDF)]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]
- [Go to: Adult Lesson]
- [Go to: Youth Lesson]