Hey kids! In today’s lesson we are going to talk about something that most kids don’t really like: RULES. We all have different rules at school and at home. What are some rules you have to follow? Maybe a rule you have at home is that you have to do all your chores before you can play. And maybe at school one of the rules is you have to be quiet in class. No matter what the rules are, we have to follow them.
Now, some kids don’t like rules because they don’t like being told what to do. But have you ever thought that rules are good for you? It’s true. Your teachers and parents have rules in place to protect you and keep you safe. And, when we know the rules, then we can be free to live within those boundaries. Let’s look at a practical example from the life of a fish. We’ll call him Fred. Let’s look at Fred’s life as a fish to learn why we need rules.
Fish are _________ to swim in water
If you’ve ever had a pet fish, like Fred, you know how they live their life. They spend all of their time swimming around in their tank. There aren’t rules that prevent it from swimming in their tank. They can swim under rocks, through plants, even right up close to the surface. Fish are free to swim wherever they want in the tank full of water.
You know why? Because God created the fish to live in water. That’s where they belong. Their whole body is designed to thrive in the water. But there’s something else we need to know about fish.
Fish are not free to swim on the _______________
What happens when a fish like Fred leaves water? It will flop around and won’t be able to breathe and will eventually die. That’s because fish need water to breathe. Remember, God designed them to live in water, not on the sidewalk. So, a fish can’t just change the rules one day and decide to go for a walk around the park. They won’t survive if they aren’t in the water.
When fish are in water they are free to do whatever they want. But when they leave the water they run into trouble. Now let’s take a look at Christian kids!
God’s __________ for kids are like water for fish
Do you get it? When a fish follows the rules and stays in the water, they’re free to swim around and live a long life. Water is not bad for them, it’s where they’re meant to live! But what if a rebel fish said, “I want to break the rules and get out of this water and live on the sidewalk!” That fish would die, right?
It’s kind of the same way for us. God gives us rules in the Bible that tell us how to live. When we follow God’s rules, we are free to move around within those boundaries. But when we break God’s rules we will run into danger. Memory verse!
Matthew 14:15 If you love me, obey my commandments.
Jesus is telling us that we have to follow the rules that he gives us. Why? They keep us safe and away from danger. Just like for Fred the fish, God’s rules make us free to live a great life.
Answers: free, sidewalk, rules Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- Describe the coolest fish you’ve ever seen whether in the ocean or at the pet store.
- What are some of the rules you have to follow at home? How about at school? How do those rules keep you safe?
- Why is it dangerous to break the rules? Think of a rule in your life, that if you broke it, would put you in danger.
- What are some of the rules we find in the Bible? Why are those rules important to follow?
- Read James 1:22-25. What does this passage say we need to do with God’s rules? What happens when we follow God’s rules?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]