Hey kids! Today is our last week in our Christmas series and we’re talking about presents. This is the reason why most people love Christmas, right? Who doesn’t love getting new things?! What is the coolest gift you’ve been given? Maybe it was an awesome toy, a new outfit, or lots and lots of candy. Did you know that people brought Jesus gifts on the very first Christmas?
The ___________ gave Jesus ________ gifts
The wise men were some really smart guys who saw a cool star in the sky. They were told to follow the star to find a very special person – JESUS! Let’s look at what happened when they found Jesus.
Matthew 2:11 They entered the house and saw the child with his mother, Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
See, they gave baby Jesus gifts! They gave him gold, frankincense, and myrrh.Huh?? Who wants that stuff? I don’t even know what that is! Frankincense and myrrh were expensive stuff that smelled really good. They were gifts you would give to important people back then.
There are a couple things we can learn from these strange gifts from the wise men. First, the gifts were expensive. They didn’t go to the dollar store and buy cheap stuff. Second, the gifts were thoughtful. Each gift was special and showed love and respect for Jesus. You know what we should learn from the wise men?
We should give ______ that __________
We need to learn from the wise men and be good gift givers. We shouldn’t just focus on getting gifts, we should think about GIVING gifts. Now, you might be thinking, “I’m just a kid, I don’t have enough money to buy everyone presents!” And you’re probably right, but gifts don’t always have to come from the store.
You can make gifts for people out of paper and stickers. You can do a chore for your parents and that can be a gift. You can play a game with your younger sibling and that can be a gift! The point isn’t about how much money you spend. The point is you look to do something for someone because you love them.
This is what God did for us on that first Christmas morning.
_______ gave us the most __________ gift of all
God didn’t cheap out on us and give us a bad gift. He gave us the best gift ever-JESUS! Why? Because, Jesus came to save us from our sins.
John 3:16 (NIV) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
So, let’s not forget what Christmas is really about. The pretty decorations are nice and the new toys are great. But, the best gift, the most important gift, is Jesus.
Oh, and another thing, don’t give cheap gifts!
Answers: wise men, expensive, gifts, matter, God, valuable
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- What’s the best gift you’ve ever received at Christmas? Why was it your favorite?
- Who brought Jesus expensive gifts on his birthday?
- What are some thoughtful gifts you can give to your siblings or friends?
- Who is the best gift we can ever receive?
- Read Romans 6:23. Why does sin bring death? What is the free gift?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
Bonus Questions: Use these passages to have more conversations this week.
- Read Ephesians 2:8. Why can’t we take credit for God’s grace? What do we need to do to accept God’s gift?
- Read Psalm 147:3. How does Jesus heal us?
- Read Revelation 3:20. Why is it important to know that Jesus knocks and waits to be invited into our hearts? Have you invited Jesus into your heart yet?