This topic is is adapted from the 365 Bible YouTube channel.
Your relationship with God begins when you put your trust in the Jesus of the Bible as your savior. To have that faith moment you need the right information and the right attitude about Jesus. But what exactly is the “right information” about Jesus?
Jesus Is God
This answers the question, “Who is Jesus?” He is more than just a prophet or great teacher, he is God. In this verse “word” is capitalized in English because it is referring to a person – Jesus.
John 1:1-4 In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.
He Lived a Sinless Life
This is one of the things that Jesus did. He came to this world and lived a life free from sin. He went through his entire life without sinning because he was not only man, but God himself. This is important for the next two things that Jesus did.
Hebrews 4:15 This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin.
He Died on the Cross
Jesus was handed over to die for our sins. It says in the Bible that there are certain unavoidable consequences for our sins. Only through Christ’s death on the cross can we be saved from those consequences and be allowed to live a life free from fear and sin. Only he could pay for these sins because he lived a sinless life and he is worthy.
He Raised from the Dead
After his death on the cross he was raised from the grave so that we could have new life. He made it possible for all who will put their trust in him alone to be made right with God. This gives us the opportunity to live a life that pleases and honors God.
When you are trying to figure out who Christ is, these are the things that are important: God came down to earth as Christ, lived a sinless life, died on the cross, and then rose from the dead in order to atone for our sins. This is the right information about Jesus.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- How is the biblical picture of Jesus different from or similar to the picture of Jesus you had growing up?
- Read John 1:1-4. What does this say about the nature and identity of Jesus (referred to as “the Word”)?
- What difference does it make whether Jesus is or is not God?
- Read Hebrews 4:15. What must it have looked like that Jesus never sinned?
- Why is Jesus the only one whose death could pay for human sins?
- Read Romans 4:25. How does Jesus’ resurrection contribute to making us right with God?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.