People transitioning out of Mormonism will probably notice how much emphasis other churches put on the Bible. While Latter-day Saints revere the Bible at some level, the Bible is fully trusted as God’s Word in traditional Christianity.
- In Mormonism, the Bible is not seen as reliable. The Bible is considered one of the standard LDS scriptures, but is not seen as fully trustworthy. Mormons are taught to distrust the Bible. They are told that it has been changed over time, has been translated incorrectly, and that many essential truths have been removed.
- There is much evidence to support the Bible. Zac set out to disprove the Bible but couldn’t. Instead, he discovered many rational reasons to support it. Modern translations are reliable and help the Bible’s message to be clear.
- The Bible makes a difference in life. Charnae has found that her relationships, including marriage, are stronger when she is consistently reading the Bible. For Zac, it has shaped everything in life: job, family, finance. The Bible has answers for the issues in life. It keeps us on track with God and changes our attitude from the inside out.
There are plenty of resources to help you find confidence in Bible. But more than anything else, just pick it up and read it. Try a modern translation. Read it, let it speak to your life, and watch how God will change your life through his Word..
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What was your attitude toward the Bible when you were LDS? How did your LDS friends view the Bible?
- How has your view of the Bible changed since then?
- What evidence have you found to support the reliability of the Bible?
- What questions do you still have about the Bible’s credibility?
- Read Hebrews 4:12. What power does the Bible have?
- Read 2 Timothy 3:16-17. What is the Bible able to accomplish in our lives?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.