See also the adult edition of this lesson.
Hey kids! Today we are going to be talking about something really important. It’s something called communion. Communion is a special thing Christians do. Maybe you’ve seen adults do this in the big service where they take a piece of bread and some juice and eat it. It might sound pretty silly but there’s a very important reason Christians take communion.
______________ Is Jesus’ Idea
Jesus had this idea when he was having a special dinner with his disciples. The dinner was to remember something called Passover which had happened a long time before Jesus was born. It was a miraculous event where an angel of the Lord passed over the land and protected the Israelites from being killed by a mean king. Every year, the people would celebrate the Passover to remember how God had saved them. That’s what Jesus and the disciples were celebrating at the time of the first communion.
But, this meal was important for another reason. It was the last meal Jesus would have with his disciples. Jesus knew what was about to happen to him. He was going to go to the cross to die for the sins of the people. But the disciples didn’t know that yet. So, Jesus used this last supper to explain what he was about to do for them.
Communion Is a Way to __________ What Jesus Did on the ________
That’s why Christians still take communion to this day. It’s about being reminded of what Jesus did for us on the cross and it’s a time to celebrate how he has saved us. When you do communion the bread and juice symbolizes what Jesus did for us. The bread is a symbol of his body that was broken for us. The juice symbolizes his blood that was spilled to pay for our sins.
Luke 22:19b This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.
Communion helps us to never forget all that Jesus did for us. He came to earth, lived a sinless life, and then died for our sins. But should everyone take communion?
Communion Is For Anyone Who Has Asked ________ Into Their Hearts
This is important. Communion is for people who have put their trust in Jesus. So, you shouldn’t take communion if you haven’t asked Jesus to live in your heart. So, do that first, and then you can take part in communion! I If you want to take communion you should talk to your parents about it. They’ll help you to know if you are ready for it.
Answers: Communion, Remember, Cross, Jesus Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- What was the Passover about?
- What is communion all about?
- Why do we still take communion today?
- What does the bread symbolize? What about the juice? Who should take communion?
- Read Isaiah 53:5. Who suffered for us? Why did Jesus do all that for us?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]