See also the adult edition of this lesson.
Hey kids! Today is a really special day. Do you know what today is? Easter! The day you get all kinds of candy and get to have Easter egg hunts. Now, that stuff is awesome, but have you ever heard the story of Easter and what it’s all about? That’s what we’re going to talk about today. So here are the top 5 things you need to know about Easter.
Easter is ______ about bunnies and eggs
Have you ever done an Easter egg hunt? Do you usually get an awesome basket full of goodies for Easter? That’s all fun stuff and there’s nothing wrong with having fun celebrating at Easter time. But you know that’s not really what Easter’s about, right? We don’t celebrate Easter just to eat candy and look at cute little bunnies. There’s a way better reason for Easter.
Easter is all about _________
You remember Christmas, right? That holiday celebrates the birth of Jesus. Well, Easter is another important day on the calendar that celebrates Jesus. But it’s not about his birth – it’s about what happens at the end of Jesus’ earthly ministry and it’s an event that changed everything.
Easter means Jesus ______ from the dead
Have you ever heard about Jesus dying on the cross? Well, he actually did die. But don’t worry because 3 days later he came back to life. Think about how powerful Jesus must have been! He did a lot of amazing things like feed 5,000 people with a few fish and some bread, walked on water, healed sick people. But the most powerful thing he ever did was to stop being dead. The grown up word for that is “resurrection”.
Easter means we’ll rise from the _______
Maybe that sounds weird. Kids don’t usually think about dying. And it might sound scary, but we can’t live here forever. Everyone will die some day. Luckily, Jesus’ power wasn’t just for him. It wasn’t just to show off how strong he is. Because of his power we can have eternal life, too! That’s what heaven is all about.
Romans 6:4b And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives.
How awesome is that?! Jesus shares his power with everyone who accepts him into their heart.
Easter means we can have ______ life
Our new life doesn’t just start in Heaven, it starts right here on earth. Remember our first point, that Easter is not about bunnies? So why do we use bunnies at Easter time? Well, there’s a pretty good reason for it. It’s because bunnies are famous for having lots of babies. And a baby represents new life, right? That’s what Easter is all about. The new life we can have because of Jesus. And, think about it. We celebrate Easter in the springtime when trees and flowers are starting to grow again. New life is springing up everywhere!
So kids, next time you see a new little leaf budding on a tree, think about Easter – and Jesus’ awesome power that he shared with us.
Answers: not, Jesus, rose, dead, new Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- What are the favorite things you like to find in your Easter basket?
- Who is Easter really all about? What did Jesus do for us?
- What important event happened on Easter?
- Where can we live with Jesus some day?
- Read Romans 6:13. What used to have control over us? What does it mean that we can live a new life?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]