Hey kids! Today we are going to be talking about another outrageous story from the Bible. In this story we are going to learn about a guy named Gideon. Gideon lived in a place called Israel. Gideon and the people living in Israel were having a really hard time because some mean people had taken over the country. God wanted to use Gideon to lead an army to save the people. But Gideon wasn’t sure about the plan. Let’s find out why.
Gideon was just a _________ guy
There wasn’t anything special about Gideon. He didn’t know how to lead an army and he wasn’t a warrior. In fact, he was one of the smallest and weakest people in his whole family.
Not only was Gideon small but he wasn’t very brave either. When God told Gideon that he wanted him to lead an army he thought it was a joke. Not only that, He didn’t even believe it was God speaking to him telling him to do this outrageous thing. He made God do a bunch of things to prove to Gideon that he was real. Gideon did all of this because he didn’t believe in himself. He thought that God was making a mistake by choosing him because he was so small and weak. He didn’t think he could do what God wanted him to do.
______ made Gideon brave
God knew Gideon wouldn’t want to lead the army. So, he sent an angel to tell him something he needed to hear. Memory verse!
Judges 6:12 The angel of the Lord appeared to him and said, “Mighty hero, the Lord is with you!”
God wanted Gideon to know that he wouldn’t be doing this all on his own. God would be right by him every step of the way! Gideon didn’t have to be afraid. God would work through Gideon to help him fight for Israel. But Gideon isn’t the only person that God helps to feel brave.
God can make _____ brave
Have you ever felt like Gideon? Maybe you were afraid of talking in front of your class or maybe you didn’t think you were good enough to make the soccer team. No matter what your challenge, you need to know that God is always there to cheer you on. You don’t have to be afraid of messing up because God will always love you no matter what. He wants to use you for big things just like Gideon so we can’t let fear get in the way of that.
So kids, next time you’re afraid to do something remember that God will be there to help you to be brave.
Answers: normal, God, us Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- Describe a time you had to be brave.
- Who was Gideon and what was God asking him to do?
- Why did Gideon doubt himself?
- How does God help you to be brave?
- Read 2 Timothy 1:7. What does it mean to be timid? What does God’s Spirit give us?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]