This topic is adapted from the ThatChristianVlogger YouTube channel.
The Bible can be tough to understand if you haven’t learned how to read it. It might even seem like reading another language. In this video, Justin from ThatChristianVlogger gives us five tips to help us study the Bible better.
- Set aside some time for prayer to focus on your time of reading and hearing God’s voice.
- Develop a habit of consistency.
- Understand the difference between descriptive and prescriptive parts of the Bible. Descriptive parts of the Bible are just telling you what happened, not what you need to do. Prescriptive parts of the Bible are telling you what to do.
- Begin your overall study of the Bible by reading one of the four Gospels of Jesus in the New Testament.
- Find a good coach or mentor who can help you learn more about the Bible.
Written content for this topic by Daniel Martin.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Do you feel like you have a good idea of how to study the Bible already, or did this video show you a lot of new things that will help you?
- Do you take time to pray and seek the God’s face before engaging in Bible study? Explain.
- Do you regularly study the Bible? Explain.
- Give an example of something descriptive in the Bible and something prescriptive.
- Have you ever read one or more of the Gospels? Which is your favorite and why?
- Do you have a mentor who can help you understand the Bible better? If you don’t, who are some people in your life who might be a good fit for you?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.