Last week we talked about not worrying. God wants us to make a habit of praying and thanking him for everything he does for us. That’s way better than being anxious and stressed all the time.
Today we’re focusing on the next verse in Philippians 4 that we are memorizing for this series. It explains what happens when we learn to stop worrying.
Philippians 4:7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Do you see what happens when we stop worrying? We have what the Bible calls peace.
Peace means freedom from frenzy.
Have you ever run around at recess all crazy and out of control? Did you know that your mind can work this way, too? We can have frenzied thoughts, like:
- Thinking God doesn’t love you
- Thinking you’re not smart or pretty enough
- Thinking that it’s better to do whatever you want instead of obeying your parents
Our memory verse says that God’s peace “exceeds anything we can understand.” That’s a fancy way of saying that
God’s peace is smarter than our brains.
When your brain tells you that God doesn’t love you, don’t believe it! When your brain tells you that you’re not smart enough, say, “Wrong!” When your brain tells you to disobey your parents, say, “STOP!” When you can identify and stop the crazy, frenzied thoughts, God will give you the strength to start acting right. You will have peace.
God’s peace makes your heart feel better.
That’s what the last part of the verse means. “His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” And it all starts when you remember last week’s verse.
Philippians 4:6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.
Do that, and you’ll stay free from frenzy!
Watch and Discuss:
- Hey kids – what was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- Describe your most relaxing, peaceful day. Where would you be, who would you be with, what are you doing?
- Do you relate to the frenzied thoughts mentioned in the video? What would you add to the list?
- What does God promise to give us when we stop worrying?
- Have you experienced God’s peace in your life? Explain.
- Read John 14:27. What gift does Jesus give us? Why is his peace better than what the world offers?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?