Did you know that Christians are not supposed to just run around doing whatever they want? The Bible teaches that after you ask Jesus into your heart, you should live a new kind of life. This is what we call our second truth of Foundations.
Foundations Truth #2: We live to honor God.
Remember how we talked about our new attitude in the last video, the attitude that says “I want to go God’s way now”? Well, because of that new attitude, we start acting differently. We’re a new person on the inside. And that means a change on the outside.
2 Corinthians 5:17 “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!”
But how does it happen? How do we practically live out this new kind of life? Are we left to ourselves to try to do it? Not at all. God gives us three things:
The Spirit leads us.
Did you know that something really cool happened when you became a Christian? The Bible says that when you ask Jesus into your heart, the Holy Spirit (that’s God!) comes into your heart, too (Ephesians 1:13)! Do you know what he does in there? He gives you the strength to live your new, God-honoring life!
Ezekiel 36:26 “And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart. And I will put my Spirit in you so that you will follow my decrees and be careful to obey my regulations.”
The Spirit leads us as we try to do what God wants. But how can we know what that is? That’s the next thing:
The Bible guides us.
God also has given us the Bible – which is even older than your great-great-great-great-grandfather. Do you know who wrote the Bible? God did! He wrote it to help us to know what’s right and wrong.
2 Timothy 3:16 “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.”
The Bible is like a special treasure map, showing us how to go through life. That’s why you should make a habit of reading the Bible and memorizing verses. Do you ever do that? You should!
There’s still one more thing you’ll need if you really want to honor God in your life.
Other Christians help us.
Did you know that God doesn’t want you to move to a mountaintop to live by yourself? Or to a deserted island? It’s true! God wants you to be around people, and many of those people will help you to know how to live as a Christian: your parents, Kids Church teachers and – when you get a little older – your mentor. God put these people in your life to cheer you on and to help you to obey God. Listen to them!
So what does the Holy Spirit, the Bible and another Christian do for us? They help us to honor God! And that’s something we can do every single day.
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- How can you honor (show thanks) your parents? How about your teachers at school?
- Make a list of things that honor God.
- Make a list of things that don’t honor God.
- How does the Bible help us?
- How can other people help us to honor God? How can you help people to honor God?
- Read Ephesians 4:21-24. What should we do with our old nature? How does the Spirit help us to live for God?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: Family Guide (PDF)]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]