Hey kids! Today we are starting a brand new series called Versus. In this lesson we are going to talk about rulebooks and what it means to be a “Jesus jerk”. This is a really important lesson so let’s jump right into it!
Christian kids play by the Jesus ___________
Did you know that Christian kids aren’t supposed to just run around and do whatever they want? Of course they’re not! God gave us a Jesus rulebook that helps us to know what we should and shouldn’t do. Now these rules don’t come in some fancy book that you have to check out from the library, we find all the rules we need to know in the Bible!
The Bible tells us what is right and what is wrong. And your parents are there to help too! They are kind of like referees. A referee is the person in football games that wears a striped shirt and blows the whistle when someone breaks the rules. Your parents want you to follow the Jesus rulebook, and they’ll let you know when you break the rules. But, they probably won’t use a whistle. They’ll just give you a consequence so you learn a lesson.
Non-Christian kids ____________________ about our rulebook
Chances are you probably have some friends or classmates who aren’t Christians. Sometimes they might not think the same way as you because they don’t know about our Jesus rulebook. They might not know what the Bible is because they don’t go to church.
So, they won’t follow the same rules you do. They make up their own. They might think it’s okay to do things that the Bible says not to do. But that doesn’t mean we should be jerks to them.
Jesus jerks _______ people believe their rulebook
Jesus jerks are the people who are mean to people who don’t think the way they do. Instead of being a good example for Jesus, they talk down to people and make them feel bad for not knowing Jesus’ rulebook. Here’s what we need to do. We need to be patient and nice. Who would want to follow Jesus if the people who know Jesus already are jerks!
Matthew 7:12 Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.
That verse just means that you should treat others the way you want to be treated. You know, the Golden Rule! So, that doesn’t mean you can’t tell others about your rulebook. You should tell your friends why the Bible is important to you and why you obey what it says. But do it in a nice way. Don’t be a Jesus jerk.
Answers: rulebook, don’t know, make Parent Signature_________________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- Make a list of what a mean kid would do. Make a list of what a nice kid would do. Why does God care about how we treat people?
- What is the name of the book that is also Jesus’ rulebook?
- Why is it important for us to read our Bibles?
- How can you share the Jesus rulebook with your friends in a nice way?
- What’s the Golden Rule?
- Read Colossians 3:12-13. How does God want us to treat people?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]