Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
God worked for six days and then he rested to create the world. This has an impact on how we should view the Christian work ethic.
- Work is a good thing.
- God has given us a cycle of work and rest.
- Jesus is our rest.
Hebrews 4:1-3 Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. For we who have believed enter that rest…
See Also: Just for Young Adults, Workplace
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- What’s the best job you’ve ever had? What made it great? What’s the worst one? Why did you dislike it?
- Read Ephesians 4:28. List the three commands in this verse, and then give yourself a grade on how well you are doing in each area. Where do you need to grow?
- Read Exodus 20:8-11. According to v11, why did God set apart the sabbath day? Do you think the principle still applies today? Explain.
- In your personal life, do you need to work harder or rest more? Explain.
- Read Hebrews 4:1-3. What do you think it means that we can “rest” because of our faith in Jesus? “Rest” from what?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part of the Students 101 series.