Doctrine #1: The Bible is God’s Word
Christians believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God, which is sufficient for all we need to live the Christian life.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.
Doctrine #2: God is three in one
Matthew 28:19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Doctrine #3: Jesus is fully God
Christians believe that Jesus is both fully God and fully human as the second person of the Trinity. He has always existed as God, and the world was created through him.
John 1:1-2 In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Doctrine #4: We are saved by faith
Ephesians 2:8-9 God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. 9 Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.
Doctrine #5: There’s life after death
Christians believe that Jesus is returning in order to set up his kingdom and judge the world. Those who have trusted Jesus for salvation will live eternally in heaven, while others will be eternally separated from the presence of God.
John 11:25-26 Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.”
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What questions do you have about these five basic beliefs?
- What are some other Christian beliefs that are widely held? What are some beliefs that are debated by Christians and churches?
- Talk about some of the common heresies today. Why are they popular?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.