This topic is adapted from the Christian Marriage Teaching – Art of Marriage YouTube channel.
If your marriage is in trouble, don’t give up just yet. God can do miracles in your heart and can resurrect something dead and bring it back to life.
Look at Your Own Heart
Don’t spend your time looking at all the things your spouse is doing wrong. Take ownership of your own failings. Your spouse may be wrong in some areas, and you may have been mistreated along the way, but don’t use that as an excuse to quit. Use Jesus as your model for persevering under unfair treatment.
Philippians 2:5-7 You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being.
God Can Resurrect Your Marriage
Don’t forget that power of God’s healing hand. If you are submitted to him, obedient to his word and seek godly counsel, he will help you save your broken marriage.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What part have you played in the issues in your marriage?
- Why is it important to focus on your own stuff ahead of the shortcomings of your spouse?
- Read Philippians 2:5-7. What did Jesus give up for us? What do you need to give up for your spouse?
- Do you believe that your marriage can be saved? Explain.
- What are some practical things you can do to start the process of saving your marriage?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.