Why pursue God? The third major reason is that it leads to “eternal life” – life in heaven, with God and his people, guaranteed.
Life in heaven
Jesus taught more about heaven and hell than most people would be comfortable with today. Both places exist, and everyone ends up in one place or the other. Hell is a place of torment, separated from any influence of God or his goodness. Heaven is a place of complete bliss, void of any pain or sadness.
Revelation 21:3-4 I heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, “Look, God’s home is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them. He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.”
Life with God and his people
Some people think of heaven as a place with white clouds and walls and robes, but that’s not the biblical picture. Heaven is a place of vibrant color and even more breath-taking than the most beautiful places on earth. At the center of heaven is God himself, and our relationship with him will be complete. Also in heaven will be other believers from around the world throughout history, and our relationships with one another will be perfect and free from the effects of sin.
Revelation 21:6-7 And he also said, “It is finished! I am the Alpha and the Omega—the Beginning and the End. To all who are thirsty I will give freely from the springs of the water of life. All who are victorious will inherit all these blessings, and I will be their God, and they will be my children.
The great news is that anyone who wants to start a relationship with God can do it by trusting Jesus for salvation. New life is a done deal through Jesus, so no one has to wonder about “making the cut”. Eternity in heaven is a guarantee for everyone who believes, no matter who you are. And knowing that our eternity is secure changes the way we experience life in the meantime on earth.
Romans 3:22 We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are.
Revelation 21:5 And the one sitting on the throne said, “Look, I am making everything new!” And then he said to me, “Write this down, for what I tell you is trustworthy and true.”
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- How have you imagined heaven to be like? Where did you get your ideas?
- Why do you think people avoid the idea of hell today? Why do you think Jesus spent so much time talking about hell?
- What are some of the effects of sin on relationships here on earth? How will it be different in heaven?
- List some of the differences between life on earth now and life in heaven.
- Do you feel that heaven is guaranteed for you? Why or why not? Learn more about how to start a relationship with God.
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: Sermon Slides]
- [Download: Discussion Guide]
- [Watch: Full Sermon]
- [Go to: Youth Lesson]
- [Go to: Kids Lesson]
- [Go to: Leader Community (Google+)]