Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
While poverty in America isn’t as serious as elsewhere, many Americans live with decreasing resources and without basic necessities. Several factors contribute to this.
- Poor economy.
- Lack of affordable housing.
- Substance abuse.
- Lack of education.
- Medical expenses.
John 9:1-3 As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man who had been blind from birth. “Rabbi,” his disciples asked him, “why was this man born blind? Was it because of his own sins or his parents’ sins?” “It was not because of his sins or his parents’ sins,” Jesus answered. “This happened so the power of God could be seen in him.
See Also: Compassion, Culture, Poverty
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- Could you afford your current lifestyle if you only made minimum wage? What would happen to you and your family if you suddenly lost your job and were unemployed for a long period of time?
- Who do you know that has had, or still has, an alcohol addiction or drug habit? How has this affected their economic status or their ability to keep a job?
- When have you or someone you know had an unexpected medical condition or emergency? How did the medical bills affect them financially?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.