This topic is adapted from the Real Truth Real Quick YouTube channel.
Are people in heaven aware of what’s going on with us here on earth? Theologians have debated this question for centuries.
- In Revelation 6, Christians who died are consciously in the presence of God. They are aware that God has not yet judged those who killed them. They have an awareness of both time and space.
- Fulfillment in heaven comes from being with Christ. It does not come from being blissfully unaware of everything transpiring on earth.
- No biblical evidence supports the idea that those in heaven are watching us 24/7 on some sort of “heaven cam.”
Some argue that evidence from Revelation and the parables of Jesus portraying dead people as aware of earth’s happenings are metaphorical and not meant to give us a conclusive answer on this subject. No matter what, the ultimate point is that the afterlife’s greatest blessings and fulfillment come when we have a relationship with Jesus Christ here on earth. Does this describe you?
Written content for this topic by Daniel Martin.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What do you think heaven will be like? Where do you get your ideas from?
- Read Revelation 6:9-10 and Luke 15:10. What do these verses tell us about the connection between heaven and earth?
- How does it make you feel that believers in heaven might be aware of (at least some of) what happens here on earth? Explain.
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.