Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
Peer pressure is going to happen to you. How will you respond to it?
- Peer pressure is when others want you to do something and you consider it in order to fit in.
- Admit that it might work on you.
- Surround yourself with good friends.
- Have the courage to say no when you need to.
Galatians 1:10 Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant.
See Also: Courage, Friendship, Parenting
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- Talk about a time you felt “peer pressured.” What happened? How did you handle it?
- Why do you think peer pressure is even a thing? Why do people pressure each other to conform?
- Why is it important to admit that all of us can be susceptible to peer pressure?
- Why is having a good group of friends helpful for overcoming peer pressure?
- Why does it take courage to say “no” when you’re being pressured? How can you build up your courage so that you can pass the “tests” of negative peer pressure when they arise?
- Can peer pressure ever be a good thing? Explain.
- Read Galatians 1:10. How should our relationship with God shape the way we allow others to influence (or not influence) us?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part of the Family 201 series.