Hey kids, have you ever thought about why you go to church? Maybe you go to church because your parents make you. Or because you get a snack from your kids’ church teacher. Or maybe you go because you have lots of friends there. These reasons aren’t bad, but there are some even better reasons why you should go to church.
Reason #1: To connect to ________
You usually don’t learn about Jesus in school, so where else are you supposed to learn about him? At church! This is important because the more we know about Jesus, the more we can connect with him. Let’s look at the Bible to see why that’s important.
John 15:4-5 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
Now, this verse isn’t talking about growing fruits like apples or oranges. It’s talking about us growing as Christians. When we invite Jesus into our hearts, we become different people. Instead of going our own way, we go God’s way and that means we start to think and act the way Jesus does. If you don’t have Jesus in your heart yet, talk to a parent or teacher about it! But this isn’t the only reason you should go to church.
Reason #2: To _________ to other Christians
You can’t be a great Christian all on your own. That’s why being friends with other Christians is really important. Let’s take a look at why it’s so important to connect with others. Memory verse!
Hebrews 10:24 Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works.
God wants us to love people and honor him with our actions. Other Christians can help us to do that. They can tell us when we aren’t being very loving and help us to have a better attitude. When Christian kids work together, we can make a really big difference in the world!
Reason #3: To find and use your _______
Did you know that God gave each of us gifts? Not gifts like a new toy or a fun video game. The gifts God gives us are way cooler than that. The gifts he gives us help us to strengthen the family of God and help other people. For example, your gift could be that you’re a great singer so you can help lead the songs at church that helps to get other kids excited about God. Or, maybe your gift is to be really welcoming to the new kids that come to your church.
God gives us these gifts so that we can work together to honor him and to help other people to come to know Jesus, too.
So kids, next time you don’t really feel like going to church, think of these three things. Because going to church is one of the very best ways to be a better Christian kid!
Answers: Jesus, connect, gifts Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- What are some of your favorite things about going to church?
- What are the 3 reasons why we should go to church?
- Why do we need Jesus? (See Foundations for Kids)
- What are some of the gifts God has given you? How can you use those at your church to help others?
- Read Galatians 5:22-23. List all the fruit God wants us to produce in our lives. Which one do you need to work on growing more of in your life?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]