This topic is adapted from the FamilyLife YouTube channel.
Most people have a heart to be generous but it’s so easy to make excuses when you feel strapped for cash. Bob Lepine provides some insights into how we can be generous no matter our financial situation.
- One of God’s attributes is that he is a giver. God has been very generous toward us and he loves to bless his children. Because we’re made in God’s image, we also have a built in desire to be generous.
- The challenge is knowing the balance between being generous and being a good steward. Are we supposed to be generous even if it means we can’t take care of our own responsibilities? No, the Bible is clear that we need to be fiscally responsible and take care of our needs. Proverbs 30:25 praises the ant who stores up food all summer to be ready for the leaner times in winter.
- There are many ways to be generous that may have nothing to do with money. The point is to continue to have a heart that wants to give. So, it might mean giving of your time by serving at church, using your expertise in something to help a friend, or being hospitable to a family in need.
- The key is to look for ways to be generous on a regular basis so it becomes a part of who you are and not something you think to do every so often. Your generous heart will be a blessing to others and will bless you as well.
God is a giver and he wants us to be givers. Look for ways to give and to serve. Choose to be generous and see how your life is blessed by it.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Who is the most generous person you know? Do you think it’s easy or hard for them to be generous? Explain.
- Share a time someone was extremely generous toward you. How did that impact you? Share a time you’ve been generous to someone. How did that impact you?
- Read Psalm 65:9. How has God been generous toward you?
- Read Proverbs 30:25. Why is it important for us to be good stewards of our money? How has your stewardship impacted your ability to be generous?
- Read Malachi 3:10. How can you adjust your budget to find ways to give? What are some other ways you can start giving that isn’t monetary in nature?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.