This topic is adapted from the oneminuteapologist YouTube channel.
Why should Christians be involved in politics? Shouldn’t Christians just be about proclaiming the gospel? But in order to proclaim the gospel, we need to have political freedom.
Look at a picture of North and South Korea. It is a homogeneous society that is mostly made up of only Koreans. Yet, it looks very different in the picture shown in this video. South Korea has light, it has electricity, it has the gospel. In fact, it is one of the most Christianized countries in the world. That is not the case with North Korea. The major difference between North and South Korea is politics. South Korea has political freedom and the North does not.
Politics affects most everything we do. It affects our homes, schools, children, the unborn, and the internet. The laws that we make are laws that affect us every single day. Politics affects our ability to preach the gospel. It gives us the necessary freedoms to make that happen. You only have to look at some countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia or China to see the truth of this. They are not even allowed to view religious videos such as this one. Politically they have ruled it out.
So if you think preaching the gospel is important, than you must think that politics is important. Politics is important because it affects our ability to preach the gospel.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Do you agree with the statement that Christians should be focused on preaching the gospel and not on politics? Why or why not?
- How does politics affect our ability to preach the gospel?
- Read Romans 13:1-4 In light of this passage, why would Christian involvement in politics be important?
- This video listed the many ways that politics affects our lives. Read Matthew 6:25-34. Does this impact your view on whether Christians should be involved in politics? Explain.
- Do you agree with the statement that we need to have political freedom in order to preach the gospel? Why or why not?
- Evaluate your current involvement in politics. Would you say that it honors God?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.