There are many different religions in the world today. People believe in many different things, and some choose to believe in nothing at all. But in the midst of all other religions, Jesus is different because his followers have a relationship with him. There are three major ways this video shows how Christianity differs from all other religions.
How to Get to Heaven
The first major difference between Christianity and other religions is the beliefs and ideas surrounding salvation, or how you get to heaven. In Christianity, it’s not about being good enough or earning your way in. You can’t win righteousness or work hard enough to get attention and love from God. He gives us the gifts of salvation and grace for free because of our faith in Him. He wants to know you and loves you as you are. God’s grace and Jesus’s death on the cross are all we need.
Revelation 22:17 “The Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come!’ And let the one who hears say, ‘Come!’ Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.”
John 4:14 “But whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
It’s All About Relationship
Christianity is not about religion, but relationship. God wants to have a relationship with you! Religion is performance-based; are we good enough to satisfy God?. In reality, God loves you so much and all he wants is a relationship with you. There are things in the bible that we are called to follow, but we desire to do good because the Holy Spirit enters our hearts and compels us to want to do these things. In this relationship, you aren’t trying to earn heaven. You are desiring to honor God with your life because you are already heaven-bound!
Romans 8:11 “And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.”
God Pursues Us
God is the only one who has ever pursued us first. We did not look for God first, he found us. What an amazing love that God displays for us every day and by his death on the cross. We are the ones who desperately need Him, and He is the one who seeks us out. He doesn’t need us, yet he pursues and loves us. Like the prodigal son, we have a father that runs to us with forgiveness and love.
Luke 15:20 “So he got up and went to his father. ‘But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.’”
Being surrounded by different religions, beliefs, and maybe even a lack of belief, Jesus remains the one who stands out. Jesus is a free gift; salvation is a free gift. That’s what sets Jesus apart.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What are some characteristics that you have seen in some of the different religions you have encountered?
- Read Psalm 46:1. In what ways does this verse speak to you about the source of our strength and the freedom that we have because of Jesus?
- Have you ever felt stuck in a situation where you realized you were trying to earn your salvation? Describe how you felt.
- Why do you think God is different than religion?
- Go back and read Luke 15:20. In what ways can you relate to the prodigal son?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.