[Download: Family Guide]
Do you ever drive around with your family to look at Christmas lights? What about your Christmas tree – do you have fun putting lights on it? You should! It’s a great tradition. So why are there so many lights at Christmas? Where did that tradition come from? Try to guess…
Here are the 5 fun facts about lights, trees and Christmas: (see this article)
Fact #1: ______ Was the First One to Hang a Light on Christmas
Now what kind of light would God hang? A star, of course! He did it to point people to Jesus – just like Christmas does for people today.
Matthew 2:1-2 After Jesus’ birth, Wise Men from the east came to Jerusalem. They asked, “Where is the child who has been born to be king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose. Now we have come to worship him.”
Fact #2: The First Christmas Tree Lights Were __________
I bet you didn’t know that! Christians first started this tradition over 400 years ago before they even had electricity! But lighting a candle and hanging it on a tree is probably a bad idea. Don’t try that at home!
Fact #3: Thomas Edison Was the First to String _________ on Christmas
The guy who invented the lightbulb wanted to sell more light bulbs. So at Christmas time in 1880 he strung up a bunch of bulbs around his lab to show them off. Two years later another guy put them on his Charlie Brown Christmas tree in his house, and the rest is history!
Fact #4: Today, _______ Battle with Lights at Christmas Every Year
It’s just the way it is. Maybe you’ve seen your dad out there on the roof. Or trying to figure out why the strand won’t light up this year. It’s just part of the holidays.
Fact #5: _________ Is the True Light at Christmas
Jesus was born into the world to light up our lives. Because of Jesus, we can see! And following him changes us forever. That’s why Christmas has so many lights.
John 12:46 (NIRV) “I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark.”
Answers: God, Candles, Lights, Men, Jesus Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- What’s the coolest Christmas display you’ve ever seen? (someone’s house, a big tree, nativity scene, Christmas village)
- What did God put in the sky to lead people to Jesus?
- Does your family do a lot to decorate at Christmas? What’s your favorite decoration in your home?
- Read John 8:12. Who is the light of the world? What does Jesus help us to see?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]