The Bible is a big book that can seem intimidating to understand. But if you know the answer to some basic questions, you can transform your Bible study. In this post, we answer the question: Where did we get the Bible?
The Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit
The Bible is not a religious book that a bunch of humans compiled. It is a book that comes from God himself.
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.
Since the Bible is inspired by God, you encounter the author of Scripture when you read the Bible. Reading the Bible is a living encounter with the author.
The Bible was written by over 40 authors over 2000 years
Although the Bible is inspired by God, it was written by human authors. The authors were from different background and periods of history. In spite of that fact, the Bible tells one continuous story. This is an amazing accomplishment.
The Bible is translated into our language
The Bible was originally written in three languages: Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. Most of the Old Testament was written in Hebrew, and a few chapters were written in Aramaic. The New Testament was written in Greek. The Bible we have has been translated into our language. This is a wonderful gift from God. When you read the Bible, you want a good translation. At PursueGOD.org we use the New Living Translation (NLT), but there are other good translations.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Share one of your favorite stories in the Bible and why you like it so much.
- Read 2 Timothy 3:16. According to this verse, what is the origin of the Bible?
- How does this make the Bible different than any other religious book?
- According to 2 Timothy 3:16, how are we to use the Bible in our lives? Share an example of this from your own life.
- How does the unity of the message of the Bible show that it was inspired by God?
- Which Bible translation do you use? Why?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.