What happens to us after we die? Do we float around like ghosts on a cloud?
The Bible teaches that what happened to Jesus after he died will happen to us. 1 Corinthians 15:23 describes Jesus as the “firstfruits” – the first example of what will happen to those who belong to Jesus. Jesus wasn’t just raised from death in some spiritual sense, but he was raised bodily. His whole being was raised to life, so his body wasn’t dead anymore. What happened to Jesus will happen to us, too – if we are in him. God will finally defeat the problem of death by raising us to new and eternal life. God will also redeem all things, so we will have a new earth to inhabit with God’s kindgom being fully realized here.
The only alternative to life in Christ is eternal destruction apart from him. Only those who will let God save them can participate in God’s eternal kingdom and have right relationship with him forever. Because God is the only source of life and happiness, the result of rejecting him and his purpose is destruction and misery.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What is your picture of life after death?
- What kind of body do you think Jesus has today, and why?
- Do you agree with the video that there are only two alternatives after death? Explain.
- What makes the difference between those who experience relationship with God in eternity and those who experience destruction?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.