Some things in life are just really important. You know, things like eating your veggies, brushing your teeth, and wearing your seatbelt. Did you know that the Bible tells us another thing that’s more important than all of those? That’s what we’re talking about today!
Kids Should _________ Their Parents
You don’t have to obey your dog or your little sister. But you do have to obey your parents. Before we get into the reasons why you should obey, let’s make sure you know what we’re talking about when we say your parents. It means when your parents tell you do something like stop picking your nose, or stop hitting your little sister, then you listen and stop doing those things. Now, those are two silly examples but it also means you listen when they tell to do things like finish your homework or clean up your room.
Okay, are you ready for the reasons why now? There are three of them so let’s look at the first?
Because the __________ Says So
If you don’t believe me then let’s take a look. Memory verse!
Colossians 3:20 Obey your parents, for this pleases the Lord.
See, the Bible says so. The Bible is God’s message for us, so you should definitely listen to what it says.
Did you know that obeying your parents is one of the only things it says in the Bible specifically for kids? It’s true! It doesn’t tell us to get a job or to exercise everyday. It simply tells us to listen to our parents and do what they say.
Here’s the second reason why you should obey your parents.
Because It ____________ the Lord
That means that it makes God happy. You want to make God happy, don’t you? We should all want that, it’s what we are supposed to do as Christians – even adult Christians! And if you want to be really good at making God happy when you’re older, you need to start right now while you’re young. Obeying your parents is one of the easiest ways to please God as a kid. So, do it!
Okay, there’s one last reason you should obey your parent.
Because It ____________ Us
Let me demonstrate. Let’s take a Hula hoop. Look, at it as a big “O”. “O” is for obedience! The Bible says that the rules God has given us and our parents are for our protection. When we obey, we are safe. When we disobey, we are in danger.
So think of the “O” in obedience as a circle of protection. Stay in the boundaries your parents set, and you’re safe. Step out, and you could get in big trouble. Get the idea? Just obey. It’s for your protection.
So kids, remember to eat your veggies, brush your teeth. wear your seatbelt, and above all else OBEY YOUR PARENTS!
Answers: Obey, Bible, Pleases, Protects Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- What are some rules you have to follow at school? What are some rules parents have to obey?
- What book tells us to obey our parents?
- In your own words, explain how obedience protects us?
- Read John 15:14. What does Jesus mean that we are friends if we keep his commands?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]