Do you know where grapes come from? You might think they just come from the grocery store but where does the store get them? Well, grapes grow on farms just like every other fruit you buy. Grape plants need a strong, healthy vine in order to grow the grapes. When the time is right, little branches come out of those vines and then little grapes start to grow! Today we’re going to learn how Jesus taught an important lesson using grapes to do it! So let’s jump in!
Jesus starts by saying he is like the grapevine, and his father is the gardener. The gardener’s job is to cut off the branches that are dead and help every branch that is producing fruit to produce even more.
Then Jesus tells the people that they are like the branches. They can’t be healthy if they aren’t connected to the vine. In other words, if they aren’t connected to Jesus, they can’t live a life that honors him. And, like we learned about grapes, if they aren’t connected to the vine they will eventually die.
He ends his parable by talking about love. He tells the people that they should obey him and stay in his love, just like he stays in his father’s love. He also tells them that they should love each other like he loves them.
So, is the point of the story to learn how to grow healthy grapes? Or, is the story teaching us that we need to eat more grapes to make God happy? Not exactly. Let’s find out what it actually means.
Jesus Is the ________ and We Are the __________
Jesus said in the story that he is the vine and that we are the branches. This means that we need Jesus in order to grow. Like we said before, the branches grow on the vine. If there is no vine, then the branches can’t grow and produce fruit. So, if we don’t have Jesus, then we don’t grow.
If We Stay Connected to _________, We’ll Produce Fruit
This doesn’t mean that one day you are suddenly going to sprout apples and oranges out of your belly. We aren’t talking about that kind of fruit! We are talking about the fruits of the spirit. Things like kindness, gentleness, patience, and self control. These things are important to God. Memory verse!
John 15:5 Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.
Without Jesus you can’t produce the fruits that God wants us to have in our lives. So, it is really important that you stay connected with him!
The First Fruit of Followers of Jesus Is ________
The reason Jesus talked about love at the end of his parable is to remind us how important love is to him. His two greatest commandments are to love God and to love others. When we love God, we will want to love others.
So kids, next time you sit down to eat some grapes remember what it takes to make them grow. And remember that through Jesus you can also produce fruit!
Answers: Vine, Branches, Jesus, Love Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- What’s your favorite fruit? What’s your least favorite fruit? Name all the things you need to grow a healthy fruit tree.
- Who is the vine? Who are the branches?
- What are all of the fruits of the Spirit? (See Galatians 5:22-23)
- Read 1 John 4:9-11. How did Jesus show how much he loves us? How can you show love for your friends and siblings?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]