The Leadership Battlefield
A military leader carries a great burden of knowing that his decisions are going to impact the very lives of many soldiers as well as many civilians. He makes life or death decisions. As heavy as this weight of responsibility must feel, it pales in comparison to the weight of impacting a person’s eternal destiny. There really is no arena of leadership where the stakes are higher than in the church. A leader in business may be concerned with making or losing money, but leaders in the church are concerned with eternal life and eternal death.
Stepping Up at Church
When leaders lead really well in a church, lost people get found, found people grow up to their full spiritual potential, lonely people get folded into community, poor get helped and served in a dignified way, board people find a purpose for their life, community that the church is in find hope and help in practical ways, and the Kingdom of God goes from heaven to earth…. Unbelievable things can happen when leaders step up and lead in the local church. For these reasons it is Important to value leadership. All gifts are important but very few churches center on this leadership gift and attempt to bring this gift to a higher level. The apostle Paul expresses his heart on leadership in his letter to the Corinthian church.
2 Corinthians 11:28 Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of my concern for all the churches.
Instead of just being concerned about one’s local church or one’s own leadership, it is also important to care for leadership potential of other churches and other leaders.
Romans 12:8 If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging. If it is giving, give generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly.
Well Fed and Well Led
Leaders are to take their leadership responsibility seriously and lead with all diligence. The stakes are high and the opportunities are tremendous. As we step up, God can do great things and the church can not just be well fed but can be well led.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Describe a leader who impacted your life. What are some of the characteristics that stand out for you in a good leader?
- “A person in business is concerned with making or losing money, but the church leader is concerned with eternal life or eternal death.” Give an example of this in your own area of influence.
- Read Romans 12:8. Does you life demonstrate that you take leadership in your church or in your home seriously and you diligently lead those entrusted to you? What is one area of leadership you would like to improve on?
- What are some practical ways that you could develop your leadership gifts? Talk through Team Fundamentals to get clarity on your mission, vision and strategy for leading at home, work or church.
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.