Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
The flag deserves our respect and honor. But God deserves our total devotion.
- Allegiance means commitment, devotion and obedience to something or someone.
- Christian parents should help their kids pledge their allegiance to God by modeling the right habits like reading the Bible and praying.
- As Christians, we should also stand in the public squares, in our schools, and places of employment and also pledge our allegiance to the Holy God of the universe.
Romans 6:17 (NIV) But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance.
See Also: Culture, Parenting, Politics
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- In your own words, why is it important to say the Pledge of Allegiance as a country?
- Why are rituals important? Describe other facets of life where rituals are important?
- Reflect on the definition of allegiance. How should those words relate to our relationship with God?
- Read Romans 6:17. What is the pattern of teaching to which we should be devoted?
- What will you do moving forward to make family devotionals a part of your family routine?
- What are some topics that you know would be good to address with your kids?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.