The story starts with a rich man who is going on a long journey. He gathers together three of his servants and asks them to watch over his money while he’s gone. He gives one servant five bags of money, the next servant two bags of money, and the last servant only gets one bag of money.
When the rich guy came home he gathered the servants again to talk about his money. When he found out the first guy doubled his money he was really happy and he gave him more responsibilities. Then the next guy told him he earned two more bags of money by working really hard. He was happy with him, too, and gave him more responsibilities. Then the last guy told him he had just buried the money because he didn’t want to lose it. This made the rich guy really mad and he told him he was lazy and didn’t deserve the money, so he gave it to the first guy.
And that’s the end of the story. So, what does this have to do with us? What can we learn from it? Well, let’s take a look.
God Gives Everyone Different Kinds of __________
Did you notice how everyone in the story received a different amount of money? It’s the same with us and the talents God gives to us. Some people will be really smart, some people will be really strong, and some people will be really nice. Those are all different talents that God gives to different people. But they are all really important! Don’t compare your talents to other people, just use whatever talent you are given.
Our Talents _______ When We Use Them Wisely
In the story the two guys who used their talents ended up with even more money. When you use your talents you will end up getting better and better at those things. So, use your talents wisely and let them grow.
Jesus Wants Us to ______ Our Talents, Not _____ Them
Remember the guy that buried his money? Well, he ended up getting it taken away because he didn’t use it. Let’s take a look at the Bible to see what Jesus said about using your talents. Memory verse!
Matthew 25:29 To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance.
So, the more you do, the more you will get. That’s why Jesus wants us to use our talents. If you don’t use them you are just wasting a gift that God has given you.
Don’t bury your talents. Use them to honor God!
Answers: Talents, Grow, Use, Bury Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- Share a talent you have. How did you get good at that thing?
- What happened to the guy who just buried the money?
- How can you use your talents to help others?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:18-21. Why do you think God gives each of us different talents? What would happen if we were all great at the same thing? How can we use our talents to honor God?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]