Do you remember the good old days, when you were young? Days when you didn’t have to go to school and do homework, or you didn’t have to do chores. All you really did was run around and play. Wouldn’t it be nice to be that young forever? Well, you aren’t the only one that had “good old days”.
The Israelites Used to Have the ________________ Days
Just think about where the Israelites had come from and all they had been through. First, Moses led them out of Egypt. Then, David killed Goliath. After that Solomon built a temple for God. And then they had lots of different kings on the throne. So many good things had happened to them. But, there is something about the Israelites that you need to know.
Most of the People __________ About God
The Israelites had A LOT of different kings. I mean they had Saul, David, Jehoshaphat, Jehoash, Jotham, and tons of other guys with really weird names. But, of all those kings, only 4 of them honored God. That’s right, only 4. That’s why God had to send the people of Jerusalem so many different prophets. The prophets told the people what God wanted them to hear, but the people of Jerusalem didn’t listen. So pretty soon the list of kings got shorter and shorter until the very last king, Zedekiah.
Zedekiah was another king that decided not to listen to the Lord, even when God sent a prophet right to him to tell him what God wanted from him. He was one of the bad kings that didn’t honor God.
Jerusalem ______ When ______________ Was King
That means that the city was destroyed. Bad guys came into Jerusalem and beat up the good guys. The bad people destroyed everything, including the temple the people had built to worship God. Now, God loved all of his people, but he had to show them that he was in charge. He had to teach them a very important lesson, and it’s one that we also need to learn today.
Nothing Lasts Forever if You ___________ About God
That’s the important lesson we all need to learn. It even says that in the Bible. Memory verse!
Deuteronomy 6:12 …be careful not to forget the LORD, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt.
This is what God told the people of Jerusalem, but we also need to remember it. We can’t just forget about God and how much he loves us. We need to listen to him and honor him.
The truth is, everyday is a good day when you have God in your life. As you grow up life is going to get harder, but we have to remember the lesson that God taught us through ancient Israel. So, don’t be a King Zedekiah, and don’t forget about God!
Answers: Good Old, Forgot, Fell, Zedekiah, Forget Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- Who are some of your favorite sports heros? Have you ever heard them give credit to God for their success?
- Why do you think so many of the Israelite kings forgot about God?
- What are some practical things you can do to remember God in your own life?
- Read Deuteronomy 6:4-6. This is Moses speaking to the Israelite people. Identify all the things Moses told the people to do. Why is it important to obey God’s rules instead of our own?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]