Have you ever seen a sheep? They’re pretty cute, but also pretty weak. They can’t defend themselves at all. And wolves like to attack them! That’s why they need shepherds. A shepherd’s job is to keep them safe in their big old sheep pasture where they can play sheep basketball, or whatever sheep play. But why are we talking about sheep? Well, it’s because that’s what today’s parable is about! Let’s jump in!
This parable starts out with Jesus telling the people that shepherds enter the pasture through the gate, but thieves climb over the fence. The sheep will recognize their shepherd’s voice and follow them. They won’t follow a thief’s voice because they won’t recognize it. Instead, they will run away. The people listening to this story were confused. So, he told it in a little bit of a different way.
Jesus said that he is the gate for the sheep. Those who go through him will be saved and be able to run around in good pastures. But, the sheep had to watch out for thieves and robbers who wanted to lead them toward danger. They want to hurt the sheep, but his purpose is to help the sheep.
Then he said that he is also the shepherd. In order to keep the sheep safe, Jesus was willing to give up his life for his sheep. He would face any danger to keep his sheep safe. He also says that he has other sheep that aren’t in his flock yet, but they will be some day.
Now that’s still pretty confusing. Jesus is just talking about sheep, sheep, and more sheep. So, what does this all mean?
People Are Like __________ Who Need a ____________
Jesus isn’t talking about actual sheep in this story. He is just using sheep as a way to talk about people. And remember what we said about sheep at the very beginning? They are pretty weak and can’t really keep themselves safe. So, that’s why they need a shepherd. If you think about it, people need someone to keep them safe too. We need a shepherd, and that shepherd is Jesus.
Jesus is a ________ Shepherd Because He ________ for His Sheep
Just like Jesus said in the parable, he is willing to die for his sheep. And he did exactly that. He died on the cross for us to keep us safe from sin. And one day we get to go to heaven to be with him!
Everyone Who Follows Jesus Gets to Have ________ Life
Jesus keeps us safe so that we can run around in safe pastures!
John 10:10 The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.
There will be people in your life that just want to make you feel sad. But Jesus isn’t one of those people! He wants us to have a good life. And just like sheep follow a shepherd, we should follow Jesus! Following him is the only way to have a rich and satisfying life.
So kids, next time you see a sheep think of this parable. Think about how they follow their shepherd, and how you should follow Jesus!
Answers: Sheep, Shepherd, Good, Died, Real Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- What animal do you think is the strongest? Explain. What animal do you think is the weakest? Explain.
- Why do sheep need shepherds?
- Who is our shepherd? How has Jesus protected you?
- Read Deuteronomy 31:6. Identify everything this verse tells us to do. What does this verse say that God does?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]