This topic is adapted from the PursueGOD Video YouTube channel.
Pastor Bryan and Dr. Koehler discuss the human body’s incredible complexity as evidence of a creator.
- After nineteen years practicing as a family physician, Dr. Koehler began pursuing studies in pathology. Pathology is a field of medicine that studies the causes and effects of diseases.
- Dr. Koehler was a man of faith before he began studying medicine, but his study of pathology and disease in particular convinced him of the complexity and variety of disease as evidence for an intelligent designer. Dr. Koehler explains that diseases and cells operate like “little machines.”
- While science can explain how microbiological “machines” function, it cannot account for their ultimate origin or for the communicative nature of DNA, which is composed like a “written code” that had to have been organized by an intelligent being. (For more on information theory, see Charles Thaxton’s essay in Darwinism Under the Microscope: How Recent Evidence Points to Divine Design.)
- In Dr. Koehler’s opinion, it becomes clear to many people studying medicine and related fields that there is some credibility to intelligent design theory, but the implications of recognizing an intelligent designer are stark, and most people would rather ignore or deny challenges to their worldviews than deal with the challenges.
- Dr. Koehler’s studies in pathology further convinced him that the basic building blocks of life could not have arrived by time plus chance – which is one of the major components of Neo-Darwinism. Psalm 139:13 says, “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.”
- As human beings, we often strive to control our worlds. Yet it took multiple computer seven years to “solve checkers.” Dr. Koehler wonders how people could be so prideful to think that we could control our worlds and our lives if super-intelligent computers worked tirelessly for nearly a decade to solve a board game.
If you are investigating faith in Jesus Christ, keep seeking truth.
Written content for this topic by Daniel Martin.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Would you describe yourself as a “skeptic” of Christianity? If so, what makes you skeptical?
- Read Hebrews 11:6. What does it mean that it is impossible to please God without faith? How is this scripture relevant to conversations about science and God?
- Many Christians study medicine and science and have come to radically different conclusions about the origin of life than non-believers studying the same or similar fields. What are some takeaways from this fact?
- Do you think Dr. Koehler is correct to suggest that the complexity of life evidences an intelligent creator? Why or why not?
- “Good science will always point back to God.” Explain why you agree or disagree with this statement.
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.