This topic is adapted from the Conversation Studio YouTube channel.
New moms often struggle to wrap their minds around the new reality that is being a mom. We talked with Aleck about it, and she shared some honest insights along with helpful advice from the Bible.
- Being a new mom changes your life and overtakes your daily schedule.
- Browsing social media can make new moms feel inadequate and anxious. It encourages them to play the comparison game with other women.
- Try putting down your smartphone and filling your head with worship music and God’s word instead of ideas and images from social media.
1 John 2:15-16 Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Name 3 daily habits you had before becoming a new mom. Name 3 daily habits you do now as a mom.
- Share a time when you played the “comparison game” with another mom or woman. Is it harder on you as a new mom? Explain.
- Give an example of how people post the best parts of their lives on social media.
- Read 1 John 2:15-16. What are some of the “cravings” that this world offers? How can a Christian avoid these cravings?
- What is a habit that you can develop in your everyday life to feed yourself God’s truth on a regular basis? Be specific about a time and place to make sure this habit becomes a part of your daily life.
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.