Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
When you give sacrificially, you reveal yourself as God’s steward and are ready to receive his blessing.
- If you aren’t giving, you’re robbing God. (Malachi 3:8.)
- If you don’t give, you may experience severe consequences. (Malachi 3:9.)
- God rewards his givers. (Malachi 3:10.)
Malachi 3:10 “Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test!”
See Also: Giving, Sermonlink
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- Why is it uncomfortable for people to talk about money, especially at church? Why do you think Jesus talked about money so frequently?
- Read Malachi 3:8-9. How were the Jewish people robbing God? What is the tithe? What lessons can we learn from the principle of tithing?
- How can Christians be guilty of robbing God?
- Read Malachi 3:9. What are some of the consequences we might experience if we fail to be generous toward God? Have you seen any of these consequences in your own life when you have failed to be generous?
- Read Malachi 3:10. Why do you think this is the one place where we are told to put God to the test?
- What are the types of blessings we can expect from God if we give? What are some misinterpretations of the blessings that God promises to us when we give?
- How does seeing God’s generosity in our lives serve as a motivation to be generous?
- Are you ready to be generous in response to God’s goodness in your life? If not, what’s holding you back?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part of the Rethinking Church series. Click here for sermon resources.