Real transformation starts with truth, and truth is found in the Bible. But learning the right information is only the beginning. The point of God’s truth is to bring life transformation, and that comes when you apply what you’re learning to everyday life.
Why “applying it” matters
Nobody likes a know-it-all. The more you learn God’s truth from the Bible, the more you’ll know. But if you never put it into action in your life, you’ll never really benefit from all of the knowledge you’ve gained. Those who practice what they learn experience change, in their character, their emotional life, and more.
Psalm 119:1 Joyful are people of integrity, who follow the instructions of the Lord.
God’s truth is not just theoretical – it makes a real difference in our everyday lives. Learning truth without applying it makes us shallow, self-deluded, hypocritical people.
James 1:22-25 But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. For if you listen to the word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it.
What “applying it” requires
Applying God’s truth in everyday life requires participation from you, others, and God. Other believers need to be there to encourage and mentor you, because God never intended for you to live out your faith in isolation. But you have to genuinely want to put it into practice, or it’ll never happen.
Philippians 4:9 Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.
And most importantly, God needs to empower you – by his Holy Spirit in you – to make good on your best intentions.
Philippians 2:12-13 Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
Want to really benefit from God’s truth? Learn to apply it in your everyday life.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Compare and constrast any benefits that come from simply knowing God’s truth with the benefits we gain by putting God’s truth into practice.
- Why do you think James 1 says that learning truth without applying is “fooling yourself”?
- How does learning truth without living it out create hypocrisy? Can you give an example?
- Explain how applying God’s truth requires participation from you, others, and God.
- What is your biggest challenge when it comes to putting what you’ve learned into practice in life?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.