This topic is adapted from the Eric Sitterud YouTube channel.
Krystal shares her story of freedom from addiction. After trying medication, AA groups and more, there was only one thing that could set her free.
- Krystal had her first drink at age 15. Initially it was just for fun, but in time she lost control and it became an addiction.
- Krystal’s addiction led her to other destructive behaviors. She tried many times to quit, but nothing worked. Her addiction almost took her life.
- After Krystal started attending church, she heard about freedom in Christ. She learned that God is not full of wrath, but of love. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- The message of freedom in Christ reached Krystal’s head, but was still far from her heart. Eventually the bondage broke and she experienced the freedom she was seeking. (Ephesians 6:16)
- What is your initial reaction to this testimony? What jumped out at you? What part of the story could you most relate to?
- Read Ephesians 2:8-9. What does it mean that we are saved “by grace through faith”? How is that different from trying to save yourself?
- Read Ephesians 6:16. Make a list of things that can be “flaming arrows of the evil one”. How does faith shield you from it?
- Read Galatians 5:1. What is God’s part in helping us gain freedom from addiction? What is our part?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.