Krystal shares her story of freedom from addiction. After trying medication, AA groups and more, there was only one thing that could set her free.
- Krystal had her first drink at age 15. Initially it was just for fun, but in time she lost control and it became an addiction.
- Krystal’s addiction led her to other destructive behaviors. She tried many times to quit, but nothing worked. Her addiction almost took her life.
- After Krystal started attending church, she heard about freedom in Christ. She learned that God is not full of wrath, but of love. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- The message of freedom in Christ reached Krystal’s head, but was still far from her heart. Eventually the bondage broke and she experienced the freedom she was seeking. (Ephesians 6:16)
- What is your initial reaction to this testimony? What jumped out at you? What part of the story could you most relate to?
- Read Ephesians 2:8-9. What does it mean that we are saved “by grace through faith”? How is that different from trying to save yourself?
- Read Ephesians 6:16. Make a list of things that can be “flaming arrows of the evil one”. How does faith shield you from it?
- Read Galatians 5:1. What is God’s part in helping us gain freedom from addiction? What is our part?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.