Our desire is to create a safe environment for all of our kids and volunteers. With the rising risk of abuse to children in every sector, it is increasingly important that as a church, we do everything possible to promote a safe and secure setting. With this in mind, we have created the following policies which are to be followed by anyone working with children at this church.
All adults working with children will agree with and sign this policy form and will submit to a criminal background check. Anyone with a criminal conviction related to a violent or sexual act will not be allowed to work with children. Convictions that don’t fall in one of those two categories will be reviewed by the KC leadership on a case by case basis.
Adults are never to be alone with a child/children in a restroom or other enclosed spaces where observation from other responsible volunteers isn’t possible.
Classrooms will be staffed by a minimum of two qualified workers at all times, unless your ministry setting is one large space, subdivided into smaller classrooms. In this case, it is permissible to have one volunteer in the class, so long as the class is visible to other volunteers working in the same area.
Physical contact with children should be age and individual appropriate, demonstrating the pure and genuine nature of God’s love. Inappropriate physical contact includes:
- Kissing a child or coaxing a child to kiss you.
- Extended hugging and tickling, or prolonged physical contact of any kind.
- Touching a child in any area that would be covered by a bathing suit. Exceptions: diaper changing and properly assisting a child in the restroom.
- Carrying an older child or sitting him/her on your lap.
- Treating a child in a rough manner, including yelling, intimidating, threatening, grabbing the arm firmly, shaking them, sitting them in a chair forcibly, or striking them.
- Volunteers will encourage parents of pre- 1st grade to take child to the bathroom before check in.
- When assisting a child in the restroom, there should be two volunteers present, one assisting the child and the other standing outside of the bathroom stall.
- If a child needs to use the bathroom during class, the volunteer will notify the Team Leader for assistance. The Team Leader will find a second adult to assist in escorting, clearing the bathroom, and safe return.
A security tagging system is used for all children ranging from infant through the 3rd grade(unless otherwise specified at your campus).
- Parents are responsible for following the check in procedures at their campus. The parent must return the tag for the release of their child.
- Volunteers are responsible for making sure the child and parent tag or family number are matched before dismissal.
- Children may only be released from their classroom by a parent or family member over the age of 12.
- There is no tagging system for 4th-6th grade children, unless otherwise specified at your campus.
All volunteers working with children 0-18 years of age will immediately report any items of obvious concern regarding suspected child abuse. Volunteers will report such suspected abuse to their KC Team Leader and/or Director.(See Policy on reporting suspected abuse document).
All volunteers working with children will read and agree in writing to the above stated policies.
I have read and agree to the above stated policies.
- Phone: _____________________________ Email:_______________________________________________
- ______________________________________ ________________________________ _______________
- Print Name Signature Date