Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
Understanding God’s heart behind submission is important in combating the lies our culture peddles against it. God designed men and women as compatible beings with differing roles.
- Submission is not rooted in weakness.
- A wife’s role is to have a cooperative demeanor, putting her husband’s needs ahead of her own.
- The husband’s role is patterned after Jesus and his love for the church.
Colossians 3:18-19 Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting for those who belong to the Lord.Husbands, love your wives and never treat them harshly.
See Also: Just for Women, Marriage
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- How have you seen submission work in healthy ways? How have you seen submission work in unhealthy ways?
- Why is it important to emphasize that it’s the roles of husbands and wives that are different, not that males are superior to females?
- Do you feel you already have a cooperative demeanor in your marriage? What are some areas you could work on?
- Read Colossians 1: 15-20. How does understanding the supremacy of Christ help you in your pursuit of submissiveness? How does having a cooperative demeanor in your marriage honor God?
- Which couple in your life is a great example of walking together in marriage as helpers for each other? What specific things do they do that exemplify following the counsel in Colossians 3:18-19?
- Read Ephesians 5: 21-33. How is our husband the head of us, but not our ruler?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.