This video was contributed by Kelly Carolini’s YouTube channel.
In the Bible, God makes it clear that our relationships with other people are very important to him. (See Colossians 3:13, John 13:24, Matthew 25:40). Our relationship with others isn’t just important to God – it’s actually connected to our relationship with HIM! Our vertical relationship (with God) is connected to our horizontal relationships (with people). That was even true in Jesus’ relationship with God the Father.
- When you fill up your vertical relationship with God, it will overflow into your horizontal relationships with others. Fill it up with Bible study, prayer, and going to youth group or small groups.
- This will even affect how you share your faith with others. There’s no secret to inviting someone to church. Just invite them, and pray for God to soften their hearts so they can receive Jesus when they’re ready. Your job is to remind them that they’re always welcome.
- If your relationship with God is solid, it’ll show in how you treat people. It’ll also show in your behavior and lifestyle. You’ll act differently as a child of God. And that’s a huge part of sharing your faith.
- Everything we do it nothing, but nothing is everything in the hands of God. Don’t use fancy language or a preachy tone with your friends. If someone is struggling with something, just share your story and show people how God helped you. Let God work in you and through you for others, because it’s all connected.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Read John 13:24. Name a Christian who is really good at showing the love of Jesus to others in their life. What makes them good at it? What do you think their secret is?
- What do you do in your everyday life to fill up your vertical relationship with God? What do you wish you could do better?
- Share about something in your life that has changed since you became a Christian. Share about something in your life or lifestyle that still needs to change.
- On a scale of 1-10, how easy is it for you to share your faith with a friend? Why did you give yourself that rating? What have you learned from Kelly’s video that will make it easier in the future?
- In your own words, explain this statement: “Everything we do it nothing, but nothing is everything in the hands of God.”
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.