Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
God's word teaches that both kids and parents have responsibilities toward one another.
- Kids should obey their parents because it makes God happy. (Colossians 3:20.)
- Parents should treat kids right so they don’t push them away from Christ. (Colossians 3:21.)
- The most important thing an imperfect family can do is to pray for each other. (Colossians 4:2.)
Colossians 3:20-21 Children, always obey your parents, for this pleases the Lord. Fathers, do not aggravate your children, or they will become discouraged.
See Also: Obedience, Parenting, Sermonlink
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- List some qualities of a child that every parent would love to raise.
- How you ever thought about what makes God happy? Explain.
- Why do you think families are such a big deal to God?
- Why do you think it is important for children to obey their parents?
- What happens in families where children don’t follow the directions of their parents?
- Read Psalm 127:3 and share what you think about this verse.
- List some qualities of a really good parent. Explain
- What is or was or could be you toughest challenge as a parent?
- Read Colossians 3:21 and share some times when you blew it as a parent.
- What area could you work on as a parent-giving your children more time, encouraging them more or spiritually mentoring them?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part of the Enough series. Click here for sermon resources.