This topic is adapted from the PursueGOD Video YouTube channel.
Tracy and Joanne discuss ways to grieve healthily. Grief is an ongoing experience, though its effects change as time goes on. Joanne shares some of the things she does to remember her loved ones through the grieving process.
- Journaling has been an important part of her journey. Getting her thoughts and feelings down on paper helped her to work through the hard emotions. It was nice to have the freedom to say what she wanted and how she wanted to say things without fear of being judged.
- Talking about your loved ones is also important. Revisiting old memories and hearing other people’s perspectives was comforting to Jo to know that her loved ones aren’t forgotten by those who knew them.
- Find a hobby or outlet that brings you enjoyment. For Joanne, it was painting and taking pictures. Enjoying nature helps Joanne be thankful for all the beautiful things in the world around her and reminds her of memories of her loved ones.
- Joanne shares a verse that has been helpful to her as she grieves. It gives her hope for the future. Isaiah 40:31.
Loss is painful and grieving is hard. But you can move through grief in healthy way by doing things that remind you of those you’ve lost and occupying your mind with relaxing and enjoyable things. Ultimately, go to God and find refuge and strength in him.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Share some of your experiences with loss.
- What is your understanding of the grieving process? How can understanding healthy ways to grieve help you?
- What are some things that have been helpful to you in your times of grief? Which of the three ways Joanne mentioned seems most valuable to you? Explain.
- Read Isaiah 40:31. What do you think it means to wait on the Lord? Do you feel like you’re waiting on God to act in your life? Explain.
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.