The Bible is God’s instruction manual for his people. If we follow its guidelines, it will keep us from drifting from the right path God has lain before us.
Hebrews 2:1-3 We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away.
Psalm 19 was authored by King David of Israel. David was a man who understood the struggles, trials, and troubles of life. His life was constantly threatened. He fell deep into sin at times, had a tense marriage, and struggled with painful family situations.
David was a man who could speak from the depths of human emotion. And when he needed help, hope, and healing…he turned to God and his word as his guide. David realized that God’s word can do much more than we think.
God’s Word Will Restore and Revive Your Life
Has there been a time in your life when you were spiritually dry or maybe even on spiritual life-support? Maybe you didn’t know God or were simply drifting from him, or even worse, intentionally rebelling against him. God’s word can rescue and even revive us during those times.
Psalm 19:7a The instructions of the Lord are perfect, reviving the soul.
The Bible can do for you what you can’t do for yourself. It can bring your life in God back to life – but are you turning to it?
God’s Word Will Give You Wisdom in Difficult Times
Life can be so complex and confusing sometimes. We often don’t know what to do or where to turn in our difficulties. Have you ever come to a crossroads in your life and you didn’t know which way to turn? How do we make wise choices when life is so often complex?
Psalm 19:7b The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
There will be times in your life when you need God’s wisdom through trials. God’s wisdom is available to anyone who will listen to his word. His word is his testimony that will help you make wise decisions in the midst of difficulty.
God’s Word Will Bring You Joy in this Challenging World
There will be times when you need joy to combat the disappointments of life. God’s word is right, correct, and straight. It will lead us in joy.
Psalm 19:8a The commandments of the Lord are right, bringing joy to the heart.
If you want more joy, turn to God and his word. It’s the right path to take.
God’s Word Will Shine Light in the Darkness
Sometimes confusion and darkness overwhelm our lives. We can’t see straight. The fogs of life set in – pain and struggles, loss and death and sin – and we lose our way.
Psalm 19:8b The commands of the Lord are clear, giving insight for living.
Thankfully, God’s word provides wisdom to navigate through life’s “fogs.” God’s word is like a lighthouse breaking through the darkness and guiding us on the right course.
God’s Word Will Help You Make Decisions God Will Be Proud Of
We all make decisions, either good ones or bad ones. We will either regret these choices or be proud of them.
Psalm 19:9 The laws of the Lord are true; each one is fair.
The Bible helps us make choices that are accurate and please God. If you want to make good choices that you will be proud of and that will honor God, get into God’s word. When his word dwells richly in us, we will make right choices (Colossians 3:16).
Written content for this topic edited by Daniel Martin.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- Share a time when life was hard and you didn’t quite know what to do.
- Has there been a time in your life when you were spiritually dry or maybe even on “spiritual life-support?” What happened?
- Share how you think the Bible has the power to bring a person back to life spiritually.
- Read Psalm 19:7b. Share a time when you needed wisdom and went to the Bible for guidance.
- Share about a joyful time in your life. Why does this time stand out to you?
- Read Psalm 19:8a. How has following the Bible brought joy to your life?
- Has there ever been a time when life seemed dark and difficult? What happened?
- Read Psalm 19:8b. Share how clarity and God’s light can help guide us in life.
- What are some of the reasons people make bad choices? How does God’s word help us make decisions we can be proud of?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.