Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you were born in a different place or at a different time? Like what if you lived in the same era as the dinosaurs, or in the same neighborhood as king David, or what if you lived in the wild west with all of the cowboys? Well, the truth is, God has you living right now and right where you are for a reason. That’s what we’re learning about today in another Old Testament story. This time it’s about a woman named Esther.
Beautiful Esther Went from ____________ to Princess
Esther was born at a really hard time in Israel’s history. In fact, they didn’t even really have a country anymore! Not only were things hard for Israel, but they were also really hard for Esther. Her parents died when she was young. That is really sad, but God had a plan, and it all started with here uncle who had a funny name, Mordecai. Mordecai adopted Esther and raised her.
One day something crazy happened. The king had a beauty contest to see who would be his next queen, and Esther won! She was chosen to be the new queen but then the story takes a really weird twist.
__________ Was a Bad Guy Who Tried to Get Rid of God’s People
Yep, you heard that right. Haman was one of the King’s counselors, and he hated God’s people, the Jews. So, he tried to trick the King into hating them, too, so that he could get rid of them. When Mordecai heard about this, he said something really important to Esther. Memory verse!
Esther 4:14 Who knows if perhaps you were made queen for just such a time as this?
Mordecai knew that God wouldn’t let some evil guy wipe out all of his people. He knew that God had a plan, and that Esther could be a big part of it. Mordecai knew that Esther was in just the right place at just the right time.
Mordecai and ___________ Outsmarted the Bad Guys
Now you can read the whole story for yourselves, but here’s the gist of it: The King ended up really liking Mordecai and he really really liked his beautiful Queen Esther. So, when Esther asked him to invite Haman over for a special meal, the King was happy to do it.
Haman thought he was going to get a special reward or promotion, but he was wrong. Once they were all together Esther spoke up. She asked Haman to leave her people alone, and when the King heard what Haman was doing, he got really mad. So, instead of destroying the Jews, the King ended up getting rid of Haman the bad guy. And there’s a message we can learn from this!
God Has _______ Right Where You Are for a ____________
That’s why you weren’t born with the dinosaurs, don’t live next door to King David, and don’t hang out with cowboys in the wild wild west. God has you right where you are for a reason, just like he did with Esther. He put you in your school, family, and neighborhood so that you could live out his purpose for your life!
Answers: Pauper, Haman, Esther, You, Reason Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live? Why?
- How did Esther become queen?
- Who was the mean guy who wanted to destroy the Jews? Why do you think he hated them so much?
- Read Ephesians 5:15-17. What are some examples of foolish ways to live? How can you learn what God has planned for you?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]