This topic is adapted from The Vigilant Christian YouTube channel.
Families are struggling with the issue of technology and social media. Most kids have phones and ipads that capture their attention 24/7. Instead of interacting with others, their faces are buried in their devices.
Technology Has Created Disconnection in the Home
Families spend less time talking and interacting, now, more than ever. Instead of coming together, everyone goes to their rooms with their devices. Even at dinner, family members are preoccupied with tweets or facebook posts. This is not good! Even Steve Jobs recognized the danger of technology and limited its use in his home!
Choose to Hit the “Off” Switch
Have a family meeting and decide when you will all put your devices away. Create intentional, focused times of connecting as a family playing a game or doing a family devotional. Don’t let technology divide your family. Place limits on it so you can interact in more meaningful ways.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- On a scale from 1-10, how much of a problem is technology in your home? Explain.
- How has technology effected your ability to connect?
- What are some practical things you can do to create more meaningful interactions in your family?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.