Do you know what poison is? It’s stuff in your house that can really hurt you if you eat it or drink it. Usually, it’s marked with a scary symbol that tells you to stay away from it! Did you know that our thoughts can be poisonous to us? The Bible says that we should be on guard against allowing certain thoughts in our lives. See, our thoughts shape everything about us. So if we think wrong, we’ll act wrong. The Bible tells us there are 3 kinds of poisonous thoughts we need to keep out of our lives:
Poison #1: Being __________
Walking around being negative all the time isn’t good. It makes you sad, and it makes people around you sad. It’s poisonous to everyone.
Poison #2: Being __________
Have you ever been so scared that you could hardly sleep? And even when your parents told you not to worry, you still did. Fear is poison because it makes us doubt God. Just remember: God is always in control, no matter what.
Poison #3: Being _________
Do you ever get so angry that you want to hit somebody or hate somebody? That’s poison! It’s not just bad for the other person – it’s bad for you!
The Bible Helps Us _______ Poisonous Thoughts
Want to know what the Bible says to do with negative, fearful, or angry thoughts? Fight them! Chain them up and don’t let them control the way you think!
2 Corinthians 10:5 (NIV) …we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
Once you chain up your bad, poisonous thoughts, you can replace them with good, healthy thoughts: God’s truth from the Bible!
Philippians 4:8 Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.
Answers: Negative, Afraid, Angry, Fight Parent Signature:_____________________________
- What was your favorite part of the video? What is one thing you learned from the video?
- What are some poisonous things you shouldn’t eat or drink? What can happen if you do?
- Think about your own thoughts. What makes you angry? What makes you scared?
- How do our thoughts affect the way we act?
- How does reading the Bible help us to fight poisonous thoughts?
- Read Philippians 4:8. What are some examples of good and honorable thoughts? How does focusing on things that please God help us in life?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
- [How to: Use pursueGOD.org in your life]
- [How to: Download a video]
- [How to: Download an article]
- [Download: K-1st Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 2nd-3rd Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: 4th-5th Teacher’s Pack (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Script (PDF)]
- [Download: Large Group Slides (ZIP)]
- [Go to: KC Leader Community (Google+)]